This module is designed to meet the requirements of physiotherapists looking to become extended scope practitioners or for existing ESPs who wish to further develop their expertise within their advanced practice role. The main aim of the module is to provide healthcare professionals with education, knowledge, skills and competences to assist in the development of the level of clinical practice required for ESPs to work safely, effectively & legally within their scope of practice. The module will include sessions on advanced neuromusculoskeletal clinical examination skills, service evaluation and development, pharmacological intervention, prescribing skills, outcome measures, diagnostic imaging, bloods tests, and critical evaluation of the advanced practitioner role.
WHY CHOOSE THIS COURSE?
• Module content is delivered by clinical experts
• Module content is highly clinically relevant to ESP clinical practice setting
• Module was developed in relation to the Competency Framework for ESPs and has been informed by the Agenda for Change and Knowledge Skills frameworks.
• Module supports ‘fitness for practice’
WHAT WILL I LEARN?
• Clinical reasoning skills in the management and onward referral of patients within their specialist field.
• How to justify the selection and interpretations of a range of diagnostic investigations.
• The pharmacological intervention of patients within own scope of practice.
• A range of outcome measures used to evaluate therapeutic interventions.
• Policies, protocols and guidelines within the field of clinical practice.
• The audit and service evaluation as well as their implications for service development and patient care.
HOW WILL THIS COURSE BE TAUGHT?
This module will be delivered through a combination of peer coaching, interactive seminar sessions, lectures, case studies, group work and reflective practice to facilitate student learning.
HOW WILL I BE ASSESSED?
Coursework 1: 3000 word Case Study (80% of module mark)
Coursework 2: 20 minute Presentation (20% of module mark)
TEACHING CONTACT HOURS
Seminars – 200 hours
Total activity – 200 hours
HOW TO APPLY
To apply for this course and to download our full course prospectus, please see the information about the Continuing Professional Development courses run by the Faculty of Health and Life Sciences.
How will this course enhance my career prospects?
Successful completion of this module will contribute to students’ professional development by advancing clinical, managerial and communication skills. This can enhance students’ employability, enabling them to move into higher positions within the field of musculoskeletal physiotherapy with the potential to influence clinical practice and service delivery. Research carried out at the university has shown that within 4 years of successful completion of Masters degree modules and courses graduates have progressed within their chosen career (Green & Perry, 2008)